Thursday, September 10, 2009

WoW! What a week and a half

I had hoped to not spend any time in the hospital this pregnancy but no such luck. Although I really can not complain too much b/c one week is nothing compared to the 7 weeks I spent in the hospital pregnant with Noah. On Saturday Aug. 27th I was having contractions that were 4 minutes apart so my home health care company sent me to the hospital. I honestly thought I would go and be out in a couple of hours. Unfortunately, that was not the case they could not get my contractions to slow down and Dr. E was worried that my water would break.
The biggest problem (at least to me) was that Brian, Noah, and the grandparents were at NRH2O and I had no way to get a hold of them. I did not want to call NRH2O and have Brian paged b/c I knew he would freak. At some point in time, I decided that I just needed to have Brian paged mostly b/c my contractions were still not slowing down even though they were giving me lots of stuff to slow them down. I was right of course that Brian did freak out. Apparently he drove to the hospital with his flashers going and running red lights. He came running into my room soaking wet with his bathing suit still on. He was so worried he had missed Asher being born.
Since, they could not get my contractions to stop they decided to give the me the worst drug of all time, Magnesium Sulfate. This drug is a smooth muscle tissue relaxer or something like that basically it slows everything down so much you feel horrible, nauseated, and very hot like you are on fire. Thankfully, after 12 hours on this med my contractions got better but Dr. E wanted me to stay until I was 32 weeks.

This is the hospital room they moved me to for my stay. This room was bigger than my room last time but the patio was not as nice. I had a little patio with some green but it was mostly a brick wall. This time I did get a fridge and a microwave.

This is Brian's bed when he stays the night with me.


Noah and I in the bed after he got back from MS. We had already planned for him to go to MS before I was put in. I thought it would be best, it probably was for him, but for me it was awful. I didn't realize how much I needed to see him while I was there.


Here is my 31 week belly picture.


Sweet Asher! He is weighing 3lbs. 14 oz. This is not one of the best sono's of him but the actual sono session was the best one I have ever had. I had been worried about him b/c whatever med's I get he gets. He had seemed a lot slower since the mag. I asked the doctor about it so he did the little thing that gives them a tickle. It was so sweet that it made him stretch and then yawn. The yawn was the neatest thing, I could see his little mouth and lips so perfect. It really made all of the stuff that happened this week so worth it.

The end of week had a few bumps but the best part was that I got to experience the new Mommies in waiting program. I also ended up being on the news offering the perspective of having the program this time as opposed to not having it when I was there before. Hopefully, I will get a CD that I can put on my blog. The program is actually really cool and I would of loved to have had it when I was there with Noah. On Monday they have an education class, on Tuesday they do crafts, Wednesday is rest day (b/c most of us get sonos that day), Thursday is massage day, and Friday is movie day. The best part of the program was getting to meet Missy. She has been in the hospital since she was 23 weeks and is now 33. I felt a little bad about leaving her but she gets out next Friday. It was great to meet someone who was in my same situation and I think that is the greatest benefit of all.
This is one of the crafts we made. It is a no sew blanket. You just take two yards of fabric cut the edges and then tie them together. It felt great to just have something to do but also to make something for my sweet little guy.
This is the other craft we made which was Missy's idea. It is just like the chain that is made at Christmas. I made mine from 31 weeks until 37 weeks b/c that is when I get to take my Terb pump out. It has been so much fun to tear off the links especially for Noah. He asks everyday sometimes twice a day to tear it off. It is good for him b/c I tell him when we get to the last one it will be time for baby brother to come.

4 comments:

Phillips Family said...

Okay...I laughed a bit over Brian arriving to the hospital in the wet swimsuit (But only b/c I know how the story ended and that you and Asher were fine). Such a devoted husband!

Glad that everything is better and that you are home. I thought you did an excellent job on the news. Channel 4 ran the story again the next morning.

Still gonna call and get information about that program...

Kelly said...

The story about Brian is so sweet. I'm sure it was scary for him, but so sweet (and funny in the bathing suit) that he rushed to get there. So sorry you're going through this. Hopefully the days will go fast!

Holly said...

Oh my word! I had to laugh about paging Brian at NRH2O, running red lights and coming in his swimsuit! I am sure it wasn't funny at the moment. I loved seeing you on the news!

amber dayton said...

So glad you are home! I wish you would have gotten a picture for the scrapbook of Brian flying in soaking wet - poor guy! And poor you on the mag again. Glad that it was a short stay this time. Only a couple more weeks until you have some freedom - lets do lunch! :)